For the love of scrapbooking, welcome!! I'm excited to share layouts, conversations, and everything this common ground brings my way!

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Me in a nutshell today: A thankful Canadian!

In the 'true north strong and free', its easy to get accustomed to the good life, the every-day, our weather, our expensive homes, our expensive vehicles, our well-paying jobs, our freedoms. Our freedoms. What does that really mean? How can you even begin to compare a nation filled with love, equality, free speech & democracy with that of a war-torn country in the midst of hundreds of slayings, over the inability to 'have a say', or speak ones mind? And why is it that our every-day, becomes the expected, deserved, even entitled to? It is luck, and God's will that we were born Canadian, that we have these privileges that so many take advantage of and expect- including myself.  Thousands of people have died in their quest to seek a life that we have been outright given.  It's a sad thought, to think of children left orphaned, because their parents were fighting for freedoms and a better future.  It's sad to think that people lose their lives, over the inability to give their opinion, or challenge the status quo.  Can you imagine waking up listening to guns fire outside your house, and not having this be an uncommon thing in your life? Think about that for just a minute. Think about not being able to walk to a store, or drive your vehicle through town in fear that you will be shot- and your family, anxiously awaiting your return, are left without.  I can honestly say, these are things I do not think about. I take my freedoms and my peaceful country for granted, because these are not my realities.  I wake up every day and do as I please, speak as I please, and on occasion, bitch about how hard 'it is'.  Time to wake up, and realize that no matter how bad, how ugly, and how hopeless life's curve balls can seem- we are so blessed, and so lucky for everything that we just expect in life.  I asked my husband last night if he ever thought there would be a day that the entire world would live in democracy? It seems so far out of reach, but God has His plan, and I really do hope that is part of it.  Today, I hurt for those who do not have what I do, for those losing their lives trying to achieve peace.  I hurt, because though I have thought about war and what it can do to a country's people many, many times, today is the first time it has truly hit me like a rock.  It's one of those thoughts that has always been a "glad its not me" situation. I can't lie, it still is, but the reality of other country's hardships has never been so daunting.  I thank my brother Adam for truly opening my eyes to Libya's struggle, though I'm sure he doesn't realize he had this effect;) I trust in God, and know that the future is set- whatever happens is meant to be, and has purpose. I have seen this in my own life, and trust it to the fullest.  Today, I know my brother will be home safe soon, and am thankful for his return.  This will not change that hundreds more will die in their struggle to achieve a country like that of which he is returning to.  I have never been so thankful to be a Canadian; July 1st will have a whole new meaning for me this year.

I pray for my brother's return to his family, and for those who have lost, and will lose trying for the good life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment